Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back to Square Two: An Unceremonious Start

[Posted on 9.25.10, before Felicia came to her senses and moved Five-Trick Pony to its current home on Blogger.]

Going to squeak out my first post here and keep expectations low. Mostly because I’m exhausted from spending the last million days trying to understand how in the heck Tumblr works and why it is missng its secnd vowl.

If you’re like 99.52% of the population, you probably don’t know who I am, which is good and bad. Good if you’re the type who hates to get involved, because you can X out of this page right now, and neither of us will be any the wiser. Bad if you’d like to keep reading and know some preliminary context. In the case of the latter, it might behoove you to read some posts from my last blog, Unnaturally Green, and learn about where I was before my lapse into New York City obscurity.

In short: I just got done standing by for the role of Elphaba in the San Francisco company of Wicked. I laughed, I cried, I looked like this:

But now that’s all kaput. I’m back in New York City, “back to square two,” as it were: I’ve got to figure out how to be a job-seeking actress again. Because if playing the lead in Wicked is one side of the acting coin, unemployment is the other.

Why on earth should you read my blog? You probably shouldn’t. You probably should concern yourself with more pressing matters, like making paper from oatmeal or building ships in bottles. But, if you’re the type who has always wanted to know the nitty-gritty of what it’s like to build a career in the entertainment industry, from someone (me) who has just gotten her feet wet, this blog is for you. Content will (hopefully) be farther-reaching than the more clich├ęd actorly musings (“OMG I hate auditioning OMG!” “I sang my Face off today, gtg”), sprinkled with reflections on the art, the hardships, the triumph, and the irony of Showbiz. And other stuff.

I am, after all, full of tricks. At least five.

Now, being unemployed, and after having done something as huge as Wicked, I kind of feel like one of those genius twelve year-old kids with a PhD — you know those kids? They can solve the riddles of the universe but they can’t, like, use an ATM or drive. Except I’m not a genius and we’re not talking about grad school, we’re talking about Wicked, which I guess I’ve graduated from, and now I have no use for an ATM because I’m unemployed, plus I take the subway. Okay, bad analogy.

I do expect that many adventures await, but I can’t make any promises. I always think it’s a bit quixotic to begin a blog, because the assumption is that some fascinating storyline will develop that will be worth reading, and that doesn’t always happen. But what I can promise you is that if my plot lines get too mundane or depressing I’ll just make something up, like that I found my long-lost twin or that I’m David Blaine’s intern.

Thanks for reading so far! If you become my follower I’ll give you a virtual hug, which I decided is me thinking that I’m hugging you and you sensing this thought remotely. Bye!
—FR

4 comments:

  1. Hi Felicia,
    I really like the 12 year-old genius analogy. Although, I have to disagree because you might be a genius, at least when it comes to writing entertaining BLOGS.
    Anyway, I can't wait to find out what happens next! :)

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would pay cash money to read a made-up blog about you being David Blaine's intern. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you have started your new blog, Felicia! I look forward to reading it and I wish you the best of luck in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your creative adventures in NYC.

    I've spent some time a few weeks back on off days (and the year before) wandering around NYC (Saw Promises this year, Wicked, last year) fantasizing about what it would be like living in the thick of things as a songwriter, etc...I love the place! So, this is kinda cool to follow along for me.

    Thanks for letting me be schleppy here, but you know, that's what we get paid for.

    ReplyDelete