Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The best advice I will ever give you

Today, on my train ride to New York City, two interesting things happened.

In case you didn't know, I commute to NYC from outside Philly every once in a while for various wheelings and dealings because I'm gangsta and/or trying to support myself. The train ride is about an hour and fifteen minutes from scenic Trenton, where my fiancĂ© drops me off in our car before riding off into the industrial mist.

Usually while riding the train I pull out my laptop and clack away at my latest writing project, or I just play Snood. But today felt like a special day. For starters, I was wearing my glasses. Believe it or not, this is a rare event (even though in my online belting course I'm wearing my glasses 90% of my time (whatever, my allergies were acting up)) -- because, the thing is, when I wear my glasses I feel extremely vulnerable. What if I get punched in the face and they break? What if a thief runs by and snatches them away from me? What then! Blindness, that's what.

Anyway, I was wearing my glasses, and I didn't feel like doing any work. So instead I started doing something strange. It's called EFT Tapping, or Emotional Freedom Technique Tapping. And here is what it is.

EFT Tapping is a kind of acupressure that can be self-administered in order to alleviate stress and re-program your body to stop freaking out about certain stuff. It can be done through simple tapping, using a couple of your fingers on certain pre-determined locations along your body's meridian points. They are, in order: the "karate chop" part of your hand, the inner part of your eyebrow, the outer part of your eye, under your eye, on your mustache, on your chin, on the tip of your collarbone, the top of your ribcage, and the top of your head.

And you have to think certain stuff while you do it. There's a whole strategy and technique involved -- but, basically, while tapping, you focus on something that stresses you out -- whether that's a traumatizing image, or an event, or a physical pain or ache that's currently manifesting in your body -- and then you essentially reset your amygdala and nervous system to flush out any anxiety or negativity associated with that bad thing.

And -- here is the cool part -- it works! On a superficial level -- stress headaches, gone! poof! -- and on a deep-seeded, fear and belief-system sort of way (afraid of public speaking? not anymore! gone! poof!) it's kind of magical!

Yeah, it's slightly more complicated than that -- but emphasis on the word slightly. In general, anybody can learn it, and fast. In other words, it's kind of is the best thing ever invented. (Please check out this website and read this book if you're interested in learning how to do it. Honestly, I don't get any kickbacks from this; I just think EFT is the bomb digs.)

Back to the story. So I'm on NJ Transit, tapping myself. I'm really into it, too. I'm Italian; I get passionate about everything. Luckily, I have my own seat by the window, which was easy to claim because Trenton is the train's origin station, and every time I step on it's always wide open.

I'm so relaxed from the tapping that I decide to take off my glasses at the first stop (Hamilton), at which point some more commuters get on. Princeton Junction rolls by, too, and I'm still tapping way, in a delirious, stress-free fog, because I can't see more than one foot in front of me. I'm tapping, tapping, tapping, working on some stubborn shoulder tension that probably has to do with the commute itself. Maybe it has to do with my childhood! Who even knows!

I feel so good when I tap!

Meanwhile, I have a vague awareness of shapes and colors as what I'm assuming are people traipse by, searching for seats. Maybe I'm even swaying back and forth a little, like Stevie Wonder at the keyboard. It's just so damn relaxing.

Then, I realize something. The train is PACKED.

Like, standing room only.

But there is one empty seat.

Just one.

And it's next to me.

The moral of the story: when riding on a train, tap yourself and gently sway. You will never have to worry about anyone sitting next to you, ever again.

--FLR


5 comments:

  1. BAHAHA those poor people... KIDDING this is something that would totes happen to me. And I'm going to try that tapping thing in voice class before I have to perform. As I'm def not a singer yet they're making me sing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. or... you could prominently read your book "How to Manage Your Flatus".

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA OMG I travel daily for two hours so I'm gonna take your advice...Although no one would sit beside me the day I was reading "Unnaturally Green" and had a little green make up left on my ears. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Oz, that story was hilarious! I totally understand why those people didn't wanna sit next to you, though. I mean, if I saw someone repeatedly tapping themselves and swaying back and forth, I'd probably think they were some weirdo person. I'll never think that again, thanks to this story! Lol

    ReplyDelete